Wednesday, March 14, 2007

I was taking a break from the accounting tutorial just now, and started day dreaming.

I dreamt of a really funny incident.

I was 19 years old then, a freshly minted officer barely 2 months old in my new unit. I went to the army market in Lavender to get some "barang barang" for the upcoming field camp. I remembered vivdly asking the Indian shopkeeper, "Uncle, snake powder how much?". I can't remember the price, but whatever the price is, I told him that it is too high and quoted him a lower price.

In the army market, it is well known that you should bargain so as to get the best bang out of your NSF allowance. Being a sucker for tradition, I bargained with the Uncle too.

The Uncle, however, is a seasoned shopkeeper, AKA lao jiao, who doesn't take kindly to kids bargaining. He pointed to another stall and told me with a very straight face," Boy, that shop much cheaper. Go there la!"

Being the naive 19 year old that I was, I thanked the Uncle and approached that shop. A query for the price of the snake powder turned my cheerfulness into shock, shame and anger. The price was at least 50% higher than Uncle's!

I spun around and saw the Uncle laughing, gesturing to his colleagues and pointing at me. Obviously, this damn fuck here was the butt of his joke.

Now, that I think about it, it was really funny. However, at that point of time, I would admit that it really affected me. I was naive, unbelievably naive and believed that all people are saints. I trusted every word they say as I think they have no reason to lie to me. When I was young, the adults say that honesty is the best policy. If you want people to trust you, you must trust them. and all the ya da ya da. Unfortunately, I must have forgotten to read the fine print. I was that gullible.

3 years later, I am probably the most naive person around at age 22. yeah, of course I don't believe ridiculous crap, but well, it is probably easier to make me fall for a lie than (insert your most far fetched goal here).

I really hope that there are no hidden agendas when people are talking to you. I want to believe that all people are sincere and really want to know you better. I want to believe that they want to know me because I am a interesting friend, not because I have 1 million bucks or because I know this hot girl that you desperately want to fuck.

But who am I to complain when I am guilty of having a hidden agenda too?

Someone once said that he will want to remain as a 19 year old kid forever, because adults have too many problems.

Sometimes, I really agree with him.

Oh well, perhaps I am being too cynical here. Of course, there are many friends around me who are nice, interesting people. I really want to look at this world without tinted goggles. Can I talk to the real person inside of you and not your fucking mask?

Oh dear, I better stop swearing. Come to think of this, what triggered this off anyway? hmmmmmmmm...... oh well.... time to chiong my accounting tutorial!

No comments: